This past week we had the opportunity to take a pastry class from none other than Monica Kate, executive head pastry chef for Kneaders Bakery & Cafe.
We met up with some of our blogger friends and had a super fun group there as we attempted to learn to make delicious puff pastry. The best part is that they have allowed us to share their own recipe with all of our Salt Sky friends!
Here are some fun facts about Kneaders and why we love them:
Kneaders is celebrating 20 years in business; they started with a small store in Orem and have grown to 57 stores in 6 states.
They are a “from scratch bakery” and make 42 different types of pastries daily by starting as early as 4:00 am.
Their kitchen’s high sanitation standards are impressive, everything is sanitized every 2 hours!
When we were there, the bread chef had 400 pounds of dough rising. Some days they make up to 1000 pounds. You better believe that they sell out of their delicious bread daily.
We love that this very successful business was started by a husband and wife team with a dream.
HAPPY 20TH BIRTHDAY TO ALL OUR FRIENDS AT KNEADERS!
Visit them today and you will see for yourself why they are so unique and create such wonderful food.
PATE A CHOUX (pronounced Pat a Shoe)
Kneaders Puff Pastry recipe
1 cup water
1 cup milk
1 cup butter
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 ¼ cup flour
10 eggs whisked
- Bring water, milk, butter, sugar, and salt to a boil.
- Whisk in flour and once incorporated stir with a spatula for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour mixture into a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and add the whisked eggs gradually. You may not use all the eggs. Pull the paddle out and if the batter makes a “v” you are ready.
- Pipe onto a parchment lined sheet tray.
- Bake at 345 degrees for about 20-30 minutes, opening the oven (for about 10 seconds) to let out excess steam after you see the product rise and start to sweat.
- After pastry had cooled, cut in half. The center should be hallow.
- Fill with whipped cream or lemon curd.
You may also dip or drizzle with chocolate ganache.
Basic Ganache recipe
- Heat the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl until it is about half melted.
- Heat the cream on the stove until it just comes to a boil.
- Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and allow to sit for a moment.
- Whisk cream until chocolate and cream are fully emulsified and glossy.
(Photos by Kneaders) Check out our Instagram for a cute movie they made as well!